Healthy After School Snacks for Teens
How to encourage your teen to make healthy choices
Back to school is in full swing, and several teens have those after-school, before-dinner hunger pangs that cry out for a snack. So, the first thing many teens do when they get home from school or sports practice is grab a quick, easy, and oftentimes unhealthy, snack. It is okay for your teen to snack, but how can you encourage healthy choices?
5 ideas for healthy snacks
The key is to make it as easy for teens to find and fix healthy snacks as it is to open a bag of chips and a can of soda. Here are some suggestions for healthy after-school snacks:
1. Frozen grapes - Buy seedless grapes and divide by the handful into small freezer bags. Freeze bags of grapes at least overnight to give them a popsicle-like texture and sweet taste.
2. Veggies and dip - Go for strips of green and red peppers, carrots, cucumbers, celery, sweet cherry tomatoes, or raw broccoli and cauliflower. Fun dips may include hummus or plain Greek yogurt mixed with seasonings, such as onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
3. Homemade trail mix - Mix together a cup of two different whole-grain, low-sugar cereals, and add a cup of mixed nuts and a half-cup of raisins or other dried fruits. Finish off with a half-cup of chocolate chips and store in an airtight container.
4. Mini pizza - Top a whole-grain English muffin with a little pasta sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. Toast just until the cheese melts.
5. Yogurt parfait - Layer plain and flavored yogurt with fresh fruit, low-sugar granola, and a sprinkling of nuts.
Other tips to encourage healthy after-school snacking
You know your teenager best, and it may not be enough to simply supply the fixings and ideas for healthy snacks. Some may still give in to the temptation and convenience of unhealthy, sugar-filled foods. Here are some ideas to limit these temptations:
- Limit the amount of unhealthy options available.
- Experiment with different foods to find what your teen likes best
- Prep the snacks they enjoy in advance so they are easily accessible
- Help them understand the nutritional value of healthy snacks
- Treat them occasionally
Kick off the school year at the Pioneer Grill
Celebrate the beginning of a new school year with a night out at the Pioneer Grill. Our menu has several nutritious options that suits the whole family. The Pioneer Grill Bistro also offers several grab-and-go snack and meal options such as salads, sandwiches, soups, snacks, and more. Visit our website for hours, specials, menus, and more.
Best wishes for a great school year. We hope to see you soon!
September 15th, 2023 | By Kaylee Yamry
Copyright 2016-2023 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Health eCooks® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.
Editorial Review: Andrea Cohen, Editorial Director, Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Contact Editor